DEPARTMENT OF METEOROLOGY
The Department functioned under the purview of the Ministry of Disaster Management and Human Rights during the year.
• The department improves the network of meteorological stations in conformity with World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) requirements.
• It improves the network of agro meteorological stations with collaboration of other interested organizations.
• It improves the network of rain gauge stations with the voluntary cooperation of interested organizations and individuals.
• And also it improves the meteorological telecommunication network.
• It establishes a network of lightning detectors for severe thunderstorm warning.
• It improves weather forecasts and TV weather presentations.
• Conducts awareness programmes on climate change and related issues for the benefit of teachers, students, relevant government officials, NGOs and the general public.
• Takes a leading role in natural disaster preparedness, mitigation and prevention.
• Conducts research on climate change and related issues.
You can visit this department after getting permissions on weekdays except Wednesdays.There, you can visit the balloons which send to sky for weather researches.
For more details contact - 011 294846
- Department of Meteorology, 383, Bauddhaloka Mawatha, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka.